Six Great Gift Ideas for Animal Lovers
Are you searching for gift ideas for the animal and reptile lovers in your life? Here are 6 great animal related gift suggestions:
- Reptile TOYS & BOOKS – There are some very cool reptile toys out there that I would have LOVED to get when I was a kid. Remote control cobras, anatomically correct plastic reptiles, plush and wooden reptiles and more can be found online and at many zoo gift stores, nature specialty stores, and science related stores. Books featuring cold blooded critters are also a huge hit with reptile loving children. Lots of great animal and nature related gifts can be found at Acorn Naturalists.
- “Adopt an animal” programs. These programs offer people the chance to help with the conservation of wildlife. Most programs will send you pictures, updates, and natural history information about the animal you “adopted.” Two great adopt an animal programs include the World Wildlife Fund and the National Wildlife Federation.
- Nature journals are a great way to encourage children already excited about reptiles to learn more. Purchase a special blank notebook/journal and help your child get started. You can learn more about keeping a nature journal at our earlier post How To Keep a Nature Journal.
- Give “coupons” for reptile-related family field trips. Trips to the zoo, nature center, museum, aquarium or park where you can search for reptiles and amphibians in the wild can all be part of the coupon book. Remember to take pictures of animals you see, but not to touch or bother wild animals. You can then add these experiences and pictures into your nature journal.
- Gift subscriptions to reptile magazines and journals or a membership in a nature or reptile related club or society is a great gift for young herpetologists. Most states and some local jurisdictions have herpetological societies that anyone can join. Two memberships that are great for animal loving families are the Virginia Herpetological Society which offers fun field trips the whole family can enjoy and the Friends of the National Zoo that offers many great benefits to DC area families.
- The gift of a live reptile show performed for a party, school, or other special event is a great way to give the opportunity to safely interact with live reptiles. Most areas have at least one professional traveling animal show company, and if you are in the DC, MD, or VA region, you should, of course, hire Reptiles Alive!
One note we want to make is that in most situations, the gift of a live animal in not a good idea because the responsibility of caring for a living creature needs to be considered and prepared for before getting a pet. A live animal, whether a puppy, kitten, or snake, is requires a long term commitment of care, finances, space, and love, so please reconsider giving any animal as a gift.
From the team at Reptiles Alive to your family, we want to wish everyone a very Happy Holiday Season and a Merry New Year!